Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I'm Done!

I've played basketball my whole life. Jr. Jazz, comp teams, school teams, and yes, even church ball. Last year I was called by the stake presidency to serve as a stake young women's sports referee. I was pretty excited. I love playing sports and thought this would be fun to socialize with the youth while being active. Boy was I wrong. The socializing was great, but the refereeing was terrible!

If you could all think back on the days of church ball, you will remember how totally crazy it was. Parents were all up in arms if a foul wasn't called. If I called every foul that happened, they wouldn't be playing at all. It was literally like...foul, travel, foul, travel, slide..into a travel, travel, foul, foul, ....air ball. Daron took pictures of the scores.... 2-4 at half time. Welcome to Young Women's basketball! We had one team that was using the elbows, swearing, and denying everything. Wow.

I finally made it through the season. I learned a lot! If ever I am playing, or coaching, I will feel for the refs, and try not to argue with them. By the way, we went to the BYU basketball game on Saturday and I was watching the refs. Who would voluntarily want to be a ref? It seems like cruel punishment to me.

5 comments:

Erin said...

They do it for the pay right? :) I'm sure you were very fair

Kimberly said...

Haha, oh the memories this post brought back! Good old jungle ball.

kim edvarchuk said...

Agreed! I went and played school ball b/c I couldn't take church basketball anymore...too scary and nobody knew what they were doing. And every one is mad at the ref! Good luck...I'd say that calling ranks right up there with Relief Society President!!

Josh and Jay said...

Josh loves to ref. He does it all the time for soccer. I think he is crazy. I agree with you!

Blake and Audra said...

oh wow! I am SO very sorry you had to do that. haha However, I am not sorry I had an excuse to not do it. I was going to do it anyway but my mom and mother-in-law and husband insisted I didn't. So, I'm so glad it's over but I'm so sorry it was not great fun.