Saturday, February 20, 2010

It must be the hair!



I go shopping once a week for groceries. Austin of course comes with me, and is usually in his car seat. Sometimes he's covered and sleeping, sometimes he's wide awake playing with toys. But, no matter what, it seems that some random stranger will want to look at him. Yes, some even lift up the blanket. At first it freaked me out. Okay, it still freaks me out. Most people wait until I lift the blanket up and then they look in and their comments begin. "Oh what a cute baby!", " She is so cute!" To which I just respond, Thank you. What am I supposed to say? "Can't you tell by his BLUE outfit that he is a boy?" Apparently not, so I just don't go there.

Also, when Austin was sick a few months ago we went to see an on call doctor. When he first looked at Austin he said, "You're so cute you could be a girl." Daron still doesn't know how he feels about that one. I just think to myself, it must be the hair.

8 comments:

Maren and Blake said...

He totally doesnt look like a girl. but he does have a lot of hair.

Josh and Jay said...

Well, remember Josh did find his receding hairline. :) But I think he is the cutest little lone star ever!

Shelleen said...

Don't worry. I got comments on what a cute boy Ariah was when I had her in a pink outfit with a bow glued to her head. We thought it was the carseat. But after hearing your expirence, I think sometimes people will just say whatever gender they want to no matter what

Kiersten said...

Yeah. People are crazy. The RS president in my ward has commented THREE times on what a cute little girl I have. And I've corrected her each time. The last time she said it, Caleb was wearing khaki pants and a blue button-up shirt, and I was holding him in a blue blanket. When I was like, "Oh, actually, he's a boy," she said, "Oh well. You never can tell with babies unless they have bows in their hair," except, yes you can especially when they are dressed in boy clothes, and last time I checked, boys never do wear bows in their hair.

Anyway, so yeah, people are so weird sometimes. My father-in-law once told a couple that their little girl, who was wearing a pink dress, was "a big boy" and that he'd "be a good linebacker someday."

And Austin totally does not look like a girl, even with all of his amazing hair!

Blake and Audra said...

I definitely don't see a girl there. That is so funny that people are that forward to actually lift up the car seat cover and take a look under. That's so weird. I'm still waiting for strangers to come touch my belly. I would never do that. I wonder what's going through their heads.

McMillan Family said...

I got that all of the time with Tyler. It just means he is so stinkin cute.

TheCoolestGalAround said...

I think he definitely looks like a boy. Vespa gets commented on being such a handsome boy all the time. It's probably cause of the lack of hair. And the fact that I don't bother with a bow since she just pulls it off anyway. Oh, well. I do the same thing though and just say Thanks when people tell me what a cute baby boy we have. Even when she's wearing pink or purple. People are dumb!

Unknown said...

We got the same thing with our son! And he had a lot of hair too!! If they weren't calling him a girl they were saying he was cute enough to be one!