Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Our Baby Story

This is the story of Austin Boyce Bergstrom. You may be wondering who this is since it is not one of the names that was up in the running for our baby boy. But once we saw him we couldn't call him any names that we had picked...so back to square one and then onto the right name....Introducing Austin Boyce Bergstrom.

Our story starts last Monday August 24th. I had my doctors appointment at 4:00 where I was told I was dialted to a 2 and thinned 80%. Pretty good. I also was having stronger contractions that day. I didn't think anyhting of it and we made plans to be induced on that Wednesday August 26th.
Austin had better plans. I was hoping that he would come on his own and he sure did. Monday night Daron and I got home from my sisters house and started preparing for a long night of contractions. We were starting an episode of the West Wing when all the sudden contractions began coming every 5 minutes. This happened so suddenly! The biggest fear for Daron and I was to be turned away from the hospital and having to come home. So we decided to stay home as long as possible. We didn't even get to the beginning of the episode. Daron was putting wet washcloths on my forehead, I was working on breathing, and crying at the same time. It hurt! Finally I couldn't handle it anymore and around 10:00 we headed to the hospital. That was the longest 15 minutes of my life.
After arriving, the nurse came with a wheelchair, rolled me up to a room, and they started the examination...am I ready??? They told me I was dilated to a 7!! No wonder I was in such pain. They gave me an epidural and got me all ready to go. By 2:00am I was pushing and little Austin didn't want to come down. So we waited and pushed again at 4:00am. The dr. decided that Austin would not make it through the birth canal. It was just too tight. We did more pushes and Austin's heart rate dropped once he was making his way down. This backed up the doctors thoughts and we went in for a c-section. I know it's a very long story but everything worked out just fine. Austin was born at 5:52 on August 25th. He weighed 7lbs 6 oz and 191/4 inches. He is the cutest thing in the world. We stayed in the hospital for the 4 days while I recuperated and while Austin kept getting stronger and stronger.



This is Daron changing Austin's diaper. Daron had a lot of practice doing this at the hospital.


Now we are home and trying to figure out a sleeping schedule. He hasn't done very well. He just wants to stay awake and play. So I would love any advice on how you get your little ones sleeping.

Sunday morning...time for mom to sleep and dad to take care of Austin.

Wide-eyed baby while we were putting on the bumpers.




Cute Dad loves his baby boy!
More pictures and exciting adventures of our little boy coming soon!

29 comments:

AZTattooGirl said...

He is absolutely adorable!! Congratulations! I am so happy for you guys! He is a perfect little baby! Keep posting more pics, can't wait to see them!

ariannet said...

Oh my gosh Lisa he is soooo beautiful! I can't believe that hair! I have been checking every day to see him! I'm glad everything turned out okay. I want to come visit in a couple of weeks when you have recovered a bit so I'll give you a call!

kim edvarchuk said...

CONGRATULATIONS. He is adorable. He has so much hair!!!! Glad to hear everything went well...we're excited for you guys.

Kiersten Allred said...

Lisa he is beautiful! Love all of that hair too! Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot you can do on the sleeping situation for a couple of weeks. The one thing that has worked for Karlee when she wants to be wide awake and playing at 2:30 in the morning is to put her in her swing. It will at least calm her down a little bit. Congratulations!!!

chartie said...

YAY! Congradulations! We are excited for you.

Deidra said...

Wooohoo! You can disregard my comments about hearing nothing about a baby in your birthday card.

He's adorable. We'll have to come visit when you're feeling up to it!

Jordan Frazier said...

Oh my goodness..i think he is one of THE cutest babies i have ever seen!! Congratulations you guys!

Anna said...

You weren't kidding about the hair!!! What a cutie, can't wait to see him next week!

Kiersten said...

Oh my gosh, I can't believe how cute he is. And I don't think I've ever seen a baby with so much hair! That's amazing! As for sleeping, I think we mostly just got lucky, but we also think that swaddling him helped a lot--we swaddle him really tightly in one of those thin waffle-ish blankets, and then we wrap another one around him as well. We've also kept him in his own room--it's right next door to ours, so if he's crying a lot we can hear him, but if he's just making little fussy noises, we don't run to get him out of bed, which means that we sleep better and he's gotten really good at putting himself to sleep. Also, I can't believe you were dilated to a 7 before you got to the hospital! You are a super woman! Congratulations--I am so happy for you guys!

Jamee said...

He is so cute!! Good job girl!! You don't want any advice from me about getting your kid to sleep. Mine didn't sleep through the night till she was a one year old. UGH!! It's hard, but so fun.

Maren and Blake said...

He is so beautiful. And he has SO much hair. As for sleeping, things will probably be hard for the next couple of weeks and then you can start some schedule. I always fed him and then made him (the best I could) stay awake for at least 10-15 minutes. At night, I would feed and put him right down. THat seemed to work.

Erin said...

I absolutely adore it all!

Kandyce said...

Look at ALL OF THAT HAIR!! Austin is sooo cute! Congrats guys!! Can't wait to see more pics. :)

Amanda B. said...

A big congrats to you!!! What a beautiful baby!! I love the name Austin. It has always been one of our favorites.

Thanks for sharing your birth-story. I had a similar experience with Leah where her heart-rate dropped and I ended up having a c-section. I know the recovery can be tough. Hang in there!

As for Austin sleeping at night, I think you've gotten some good advice already. You might try putting him to sleep in his car-seat. This worked for my kids in getting them to sleep for longer stretches. Also, when my babies were awake at night I would keep the lights dimmed and try to keep things quiet. I think this helps them get used to the rhythm of light/noisy/playtime/stimulation in the day and quiet/dark/rest-time at night. Personally, I don't try to schedule my kids sleeping times until they are a few months old. Until then, I just go with their schedule (even if it's nights and days backwards!) . That's the fun of having a newborn-right? :)

You are a well-prepared, capable, and amazing mom, so I would just trust your instincts and don't be afraid to try new things. Only you will know what is best for your babe. He is LUCKY to have you! Good luck!!

P.S. I tried to post this earlier and it didn't work, so sorry if it posts twice.

Zanny said...

Congratulations! Austin is adorable! I love his gorgeous face and hair! I can recommend two books for you that I think will help. "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Marc Weissbluth and "The Sleep Easy Solution" by Jennifer Waldburger and Jill Spivack. These were sooooo helpful for me, so let me know what you think after reading them! Congrats again!

Hannah Neville McMillan said...

his hair is AMAZING! how cute!

MummyMoe said...

He's beautiful! I'm so happy for you! My sisters-in-law swear by the book Baby Wise. Their kids slept like angels. But of course I don't know firsthand.

Kelly A. said...

congrats!!!! he is sooo cute!!!!!!!!

McMillan Family said...

He is so cute. I love the name. I am glad all went well.

Kara & Jacob Maughan said...

What a beautiful baby boy! Congrats and I'm glad everything worked out well for you guys :)

Lindsey said...

I am glad to hear that everything went ok. He is so cute - I love his hair! That is funny about choosing his name - I like it!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations you guys!
He is adorable! I hope you all are doing great!

Addie May said...

WOW. what a cutie! I love all of his hair! Congratulations you guys, and I'm glad everything turned out good even though you had to have a c-section. He is darling!

Brittney said...

WAHOO!! I am excited to sit and hear about your adventure. What a handsome baby boy!

Marie said...

How exciting! Congrats Daron and Lisa!! We are so happy for you guys! He is adorable!!

Marie (Katie's Cousin)

Edith said...

Hi Lisa, Hi Daron, Hi Austin:))

I've been checking your blog every day for news and here he is, Mr. Cutie! He is such a good looking baby! Girls beware in about 15 years!!!!!:))

Edith

kkcc said...

So cute! Congrats you guys.

Todd and Melissa said...

Oh my goodness! He is such a cute little thing! I can't believe his hair!!! Congrats you guys. :)

Megan said...

Lisa, I didn't know you had a blog! Congrats on the baby boy, he is so handsome! I can't believe all of that hair! :) Glad everything turned out okay!